top of page

ABOUT US

London Clarion Cycle Club is a cycling club located in London. We are one London's oldest cycling institutions, founded in 1895. The Clarion cycling movement was itself established in 1894 by staff and readers of the Clarion newspaper, a socialist journal of the day started by Robert Blatchford. The Clarion motto, borrowed from William Morris, is “Fellowship is Life”, thus the aim of the club is to promote goodwill and fellowship through cycling. Our cycling club promotes socialist, anti-fascist, and feminist values while maintaining a collective and politically minded approach.

New Years Day London Clarion Cycle Club Ride 2024.jpg
London Clarion Cycle Club members enjoying the New Years Day Ride 2024

A friendly and inclusive Cycling Club

Our calendar includes many unique club rides throughout the year, spanning distances from a leisurely 20 miles to a more challenging 100 miles, encompassing both themed excursions and training sessions. Our club calendar also has weekends away including a trip to Dieppe in France each June. 

Club Membership

Welcoming riders of all backgrounds and skill levels, our doors are open to those who share our passion for cycling and our values of inclusivity and solidarity. A baseline speed of 12mph or 20kph is recommended.  Membership of London Clarion Cycle Club is available for £25, which includes third-party liability insurance and exclusive discounts at bike shops across London. 

London Clarion Cycling Club Ride

CLUB HISTORY

The London Clarion Cycle Club was first mentioned in the Clarion newspaper on 11th May 1895 by W H Crisp, who was looking for members to join the club. W H Crisp resided at 45 Wirtemberg Street in Clapham SW4, which was later renamed Stonhouse Street. The inaugural ride of the London Clarion Cycle Club took place on 25th May 1895 from Sydenham Station to Farnborough.

 

On 4th July 1896, the Clarion reported the formation of a North London Clarion Cycling Club, with a ride to Hatfield. By July 1898, the HQ for the North London club had moved to the North London Socialist Club on 30 Durham Road, Finsbury Park. Later that year, a Bohemian Concert was organized by South London members at the Albion Hotel, Ludgate Circus. In 1899, a club ride from Balham to Banstead Corner for an annual picnic at Otford was held on 18th June.

bottom of page