Fri, 07 Apr|
Clarion Cycling Clubs Easter Meet 2023 Leicester
A relaxed weekend of cycling and socialising with fellow Clarion Cyclists from across the country.
Time & Location
07 Apr 2023, 18:00 – 10 Apr 2023, 10:00
Leicester, Leicester Railway Station, London Rd, Leicester LE2 0QB, UK
About the Event
A weekend of cycling, bounderising, comradeship and fun.
Meet Headquarters will be the Premier Inn Leicester City Centre.GOOD FRIDAY:
- Assemble 1pm at Meet HQ. For a ride to Bosworth Field
- Assemble 5pm in Leicester Secular Hall, 75 Humberstone Gate for: registration, distribution of Meet Ribbons (courtesy of London Clarion) and free buffet.
THERE WILL BE NO MEET LEVY, NO RACING AND NO PRIZE PRESENTATIONSEASTER SATURDAY:
- Assemble 10am at Meet HQ. For ride to the Foxton Inclined Plane with longer option to St. Eleonor’s Cross at Geddington.
- Assemble 7pm at Meet HQ for tour of the five best pubs in the city.
- Assemble 10am at Meet HQ. For pork pie tasting ride to Melton Mowbray. On the return leg stopping at The White House public house to raise a glass to General Thomas Cooper, leader of the Leicester Chartists. No evidence he ever rode a velocipede but it’s a good excuse for a well-earned pint.
- Assemble 10am at Meet HQ. Walking tour of city centre to sites related to three Leicester Clarion Cycle Club members:
- Amos Sherriff, bike shop owner and first Labour Mayor of the Leicester.
- Alice Hawkins Clarion cyclists and militant suffragette.
- Finally, we will pay homage to Clarion cyclist Roy Watts killed in action, age 23, fighting the Fascist hordes during the Civil War in Spain.
Optional visit to King Richard III tomb (entry fee). Followed by a farewell rendition of the Clarion anthem ‘England Arise’ in Duffy’s Bar.THE CLARION AND SOCIALISM AN UNBROKEN LINK